Irkutsk city, Russia
The capital city of Irkutsk region.
Irkutsk is one of the largest cities in Siberia, the capital of the Irkutsk region, Russia. It is located in Eastern Siberia, on the banks of the Angara River, at the confluence with the Irkut River (hence the name of the city), 66 km to the west of Lake Baikal, about 5,200 km to the east of Moscow.
The population of Irkutsk is about 617 315 (2021), the area - 432 sq. km.
The phone code - +7 3952, the postal codes - 664000-664082.
Local time in Irkutsk city is (+8 UTC).
Irkutsk was founded in 1661. The settlement received the status of a town in 1686. Later, in 1760, the Siberian Road connected Irkutsk with the European part of the Russian Empire. It was the reason of further economic growth of Irkutsk.
From the beginning of the 19th century, Siberia in general and Irkutsk in particular became the place where a lot of Russian officers and nobles were exiled for taking part in Decembrist uprising.
At the end of the 19th century, about 30% of Irkutsk population consisted of exiles. It was one of the reasons why the city became the cultural and educational center of Siberia.
Electricity came to Irkutsk in 1896, the first theater - in 1897, and the railway station - in 1898. Irkutsk had the nickname “Siberian Paris” at the beginning of the 20th century. The city was one of the centers of Bolshevik Revolution resistance during the Russian Civil War.
The city and surrounding territories were heavily industrialized during the Soviet period.