Alexander F. Schmidt
Doctor of Sciences (Chemistry), Professor
Alexander Schmidt was born in 1965 in Angarsk, Irkutsk region. In 1987 he graduated from the Faculty of Chemistry of Irkutsk State University. In 1991 he defended his candidate thesis, in 2003 - his doctoral thesis
1987-1991 – Junior Researcher, ISU Institute of Oil and Coal-Chemical Synthesis;
1991-1993 – Senior Researcher, ISU Institute of Oil and Coal-Chemical Synthesis;
1993-1995 – Lecturer, Department of Physical and Colloid Chemistry;
1995-2004 - Associate Professor, Department of Physical and Colloid Chemistry;
2004-2007 – Professor, ISU Department of Physical and Colloid Chemistry;
2007-2021 - Head of Department of Physical and Colloid Chemistry;
2007-2012 - Director of ISU Institute of Oil and Coal-Chemical Synthesis.
2012-2015 – Vice-rector for Research
2015-2017 – Vice-rector for Research and International Cooperation
2017 - 2019 – First Vice-rector (Irkutsk State University)
May 16th, 2019 - October 5th, 2020 – acting rector of Irkutsk State University
Since October 6th, 2020 - ISU rector
Since 2021 - Professor, ISU Department of Physical and Colloid Chemistry
1992 – 1993 – University of Tubingen (Germany)
1999 – RWTH Aachen University (Germany)
2006 – Technical University of Munich (Germany)
2011 – “International Visitor Leadership” Program (United States of America)
Alexander Schmidt is the Chairman of the Scientific Council for Defending Doctoral Thesis in Chemistry and a member of the Scientific Council on Catalysis (Russian Academy of Sciences). Professor Schmidt is the author and co-author of 223 scientific articles (including 69 articles indexed in Web of Science, 15 of them – in a Q1 journals). Professor Schmidt is registered with the Federal Register for Experts in Science and Technology. Professor Schmidt is currently an expert of Russian Science Foundation and the leader of research projects implemented under support of such funds as the Russian Foundation for Basic Research, Russian Science Foundation.
Scientific Supervisor of four Candidates of Sciences’ Research Theses.
1. Method “Schmidt’s analysis of differential selectivity (SADS)”;
2. Elaboration of methods for studying the Complex Chemical Reactions on the basis of SADS’s method;
3. Methods for studying the Complex Chemical Reactions have been used in the Heck reaction and its modifications, Sonogashira coupling, Suzuki reaction as well as in processes of direct arylation of heteroaromatic compounds;
4. Formalized procedure for experiments planning that allows determinig the mechanisms for coupling processes of catalyst’s formation, deactivation, and regeneration.
1. Kinetics of Complex Chemical Reactions;
2. Kinetic Studies of Catalytic Reactions with regard to the Processes of Catalyst’s Transformation beyond the Catalytic cycle;
3. Fundamental Patterns of a Mechanisms for Catalytic Cross-Coupling Reactions(Mizoroki-Heck and Suzuki-Miyaura Reactions, Sonogashira coupling).
1. Cano, R.; Schmidt, A. F.; McGlacken, G. P. Direct Arylation and Heterogeneous Catalysis; Ever the Twain Shall Meet. Chem. Sci. 2015, 6 (10), 5338-5346
2. Schmidt, A. F.; Kurokhtina, A. A. Distinguishing between the Homogeneous and Heterogeneous Mechanisms of Catalysis in the Mizoroki-Heck and Suzuki-Miyaura Reactions: Problems and Prospects. Kinet. Catal. 2012, 53 (6), 714—730;
3. Kurokhtina, A. A.; Larina, E. V.; Yarosh, E. V.; Lagoda, N. A.; Schmidt, A. F. Mechanistic Study of Direct Arylation of Indole Using Differential Selectivity Measurements: Shedding Light on the Active Species and Revealing the Key Role of Electrophilic Substitution in the Catalytic Cycle. Organometallics 2018, 37 (13), 2054—2063;
4. Schmidt, A. F.; Kurokhtina, A. A.; Larina, E. V.; Yarosh, E. V.; Lagoda, N. A. Direct Kinetic Evidence for the Active Anionic Palladium(0) and Palladium(II) Intermediates in the Ligand-Free Heck Reaction with Aromatic Carboxylic Anhydrides. Organometallics 2017, 36 (17), 3382-3386
5. Schmidt, A. F.; Smirnov, V. V. Simple Method for Enhancement of the Ligand-Free Palladium Catalyst Activity in the Heck Reaction with Non-Activated Bromoarenes. J. Mol. Catal. A Chem. 2003, 203 (1-2), 75-78;
6. Schmidt, A. F.; Al-Halaiqa, A.; Smirnov, V. V. Effect of Macrokinetic Factors on the Ligand-Free Heck Reaction with Non-Activated Bromoarenes. J. Mol. Catal. A Chem. 2006, 250 (1-2), 131—137;
7. Yarosh, E. V.; Kurokhtina, A. A.; Larina, E. V.; Lagoda, N. A.; Schmidt, A. F. Distinguishing between Homogeneous and Heterogeneous Catalytic Activity in C-H Arylation of an Indole with Aryl Halides under «Ligandless» Conditions: Crucial Evidence from Real Catalytic Experiments. Org. Process Res. Dev. 2019, 23 (5), 1052—1059;
8. Schmidt, A. F.; Kurokhtina, A. A.; Larina, E. V. Analysis of Differential Selectivity Using Phase Trajectories of Catalytic Reactions: New Aspects and Applications. Kinet. Catal. 2019, 60 (5), 551—572;
9. Schmidt, A. F.; Kurokhtina, A. A.; Larina, E. V. Role of a Base in Suzuki-Miyaura Reaction. Russ. J. Gen. Chem. 2011, 81 (7), 1573—1574;
10. Schmidt, A. F.; Al Halaiqa, A.; Smirnov, V. V. Interplays between Reactions within and without the Catalytic Cycle of the Heck Reaction as a Clue to the Optimization of the Synthetic Protocol. Synlett 2006, 2006 (18), 2861—2878
11. Kurokhtina, A. A.; Larina, E. V.; Yarosh, E. V.; Schmidt, A. F. Kinetic Investigation of Cross-Coupling Reaction Steps by Advanced Competing Reaction Methods. J. Mol. Catal. A Chem. 2016, 425, 43-54;
12. Kurokhtina, A. A.; Larina, E. V.; Yarosh, E. V.; Schmidt, A. F. Role of the Base and Endogenous Anions in «Ligand-Free» Catalytic Systems for the Suzuki-Miyaura Reaction. Kinet. Catal. 2016, 57 (3), 373—379;
13. Kurokhtina, A. A.; Larina, E. V.; Schmidt, A. F.; Malaika, A.; Krzyzyńska, B.; Rechnia, P.; Kozłowski, M. Mechanistic Studies of the Suzuki-Miyaura Reaction with Aryl Bromides Using Pd Supported on Micro- and Mesoporous Activated Carbons. J. Mol. Catal. A Chem. 2013, 379 (0), 327—332;
14. Schmidt, A. F.; Smirnov, V. V. Concept of «Magic» Number Clusters as a New Approach to the Interpretation of Unusual Kinetics of the Heck Reaction with Aryl Bromides. Top. Catal. 2005, 32 (1-2), 71-75.
Awards and honourary titles:
Honoured Worker of Higher Education of the Russian Federation
Diploma of the Presidium of SB RAS (Siberian branch of Russian Academy of Sciences).
1, Karl Marx str., office 214, Irkutsk, Russia
Tel.: +7 (3952) 521-900
Fax: +7(3952) 24-22-38