ISU's Scientific Schools
Research activity at ISU is carried out within the framework of 30 main programs approved by the University Academic Council.
The major scientific schools are as follows:
- Mathematical Theory of Optimal Control: the main scientific results are nonclassical conditions of optimal in systems of concentrated and distributed parameters; new generation of iteration methods of solving problems of optimal control; solution of series of applications associated with investigation of stimulation and spreading problems of tsunami waves, designing of supersonic aircraft, and mathematical modeling of population dynamics. The School has got the support as a result of competition among leading research and educational groups organized by Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation in 2002-2003.
- Algorithmic and Qualitative Analysis in Theory of Integro-Differential and Differentially-Operational Equations: The problems of proving of existence theorem, algorithmic analysis in the theory of integro-differential Vlasov-Maxwell systems and equations of nonlinear thermal conductivity have been solved.
- Logical Methods in Information Science and Intellectual Control: Methods of intellectual control and qualitative theory of logic-dynamic guided systems have been developed. On the basis of semantic programming the theory of information systems has been worked out, based on the notion of descriptive term. Main characteristics of developed constructions have been studied.
- High-Energy Physics, Elementary-Particle Physics and Pstrophysics: In 1998 the Baikal deep-water neutrino telescope NT-200 was set up within the framework of international project “Baikal”, which is the only functioning deep-water detector of neutrino in the world. Analytical and calculus methods of approximations of energy spectrum and space distribution of atmospheric muons and neutrino in the wide interval of energies have been developed. Wide-angled Cherenkov detector of wide atmospheric downpours “Tunka-25”has been designed. The spectrum of cosmic rays in the sphere of “knee” has been measured. Theoretical Studies and Mathematical Modeling of Wave Transmission in Multiscale Transitional and Heterogeneous Environments: The method of forming of random heterogeneity field has been introduced, which is very simple in modeling and convenient in calculation of wave transmission in randomly multivendor environment by Monte-Karlo method. Calculation methods of radio scattering in randomly heterogeneous ionosphere of the complicated regular background have been developed.
- Synthesis of New Polymeric Materials Which Possess Input Behavior: A new direction in halogenide isomerization of quasiphosphonium has been discovered. On this basis original methods of halogenation and alcohol dehydration, carboxylic acids and their sulphides and selenides have been developed. New methods of phosphonium salt synthesis, tertiary phosphines, their sulphides and selenides have been introduced. Main principles of vicinal triazole nitration have been studied. Polymerization capacity of the whole class of monomers – viniazols has been evaluated.
- Catalysis: Main stages of formation, functioning, composition and structure of complexes in catalytic systems of hydrogenation, di- and oligomerization of unsaturated hydrocarbons have been experimentally distinguished. Models of nanodimensional (2-3 nm) hydrogenation catalysts on the basis of nickel and palladium complexes have been suggested.
- X-Ray Spectrum Analysis and Metrology of Analytical Chemistry: A new method of qualitative X-ray spectrum analysis of granular materials based on registration of X-radiation diffused under small angles has been developed. A set of methods of environmental objects analysis has been offered for monitoring of pollution of some territories of Tuva Republic, Mongolia and Priangarje.
- Baikal Studies and Research of Structure, Functioning, and Evolution of Biological and Ecological Systems: the concept of changeability and sustainability of aquatic ecosystems of Central Asia (Lake Baikal and adjacent water bodies) has been developed on the basis of long-term investigations (since 1923), as well as cause-and-effect relations that determine the ecological status of aquatic systems have been identified. Unique characteristics of Baikal biota have been described with novel advanced methods.
- Experimental and Industrial Microbiology: New and rare species of entomopathogenic fungi have been identified, and it has been proved it is possible to use them for plant protection. Industrial producers of mycoinsecticides have been obtained.
- Neurophysiology. Processes of Information Treatment in Nervous System: The Center of Medical and Biological Information on Scientific and Technical Resources of East-Siberian Region has been organized It is aimed at application of computer and information technologies in educational process for integration of scientific biomedical database of the region and development of fundamental studies in physiology and experimental medicine. The Center provides training courses for highly skilled physiologists and physicians, as well as popularizes physiology as a science.
- Archaeology, Ethnography, Quaternary Geology and Paleoecology of Siberia: The serial-chronological line of lithotechnological characteristics of Upper Pleistocene- Holocene locations (Palaeolith, Mesolite, Late Stone Age) near Baikal area has been formed as a basis for the periodization of North-Eurasian palaeocultural ensembles. The conception of origin of South-Siberian Late Stone Age, its local modifications and transformations into ethnic formations of the historical epoch has been developed. The School got support as a result of competition among leading scientific and pedagogical groups that was held by Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation in 2002-2003.
- Studies on Development of Siberia on Russian and Global Scales: Interdisciplinary investigations of geopolitical and geostrategical place of Siberia under existing conditions of globalization and formation of new world order in the XXI century; history and development prospects of Siberia as a polycultural society have been carried out. Problems of Regional and Local Governments: Geology and Geochemistry of Oil-and-Gas Bearing Basins of the Baikal Rift Zone (Leader – Professor V.P. Isaev, Honored Worker of Russian Higher Professional Education).